John Hanly & Co Ltd was established in 1893. The company has always been under the management of the Hanly family and the current managing director, Brian Hanly is the fourth generation.
Before moving to Ballyartella outside Nenagh, Denis Hanly and his son John operated a number of handlooms in South County Tipperary, approx 40 miles from Nenagh. In 1893 they moved their machinery to Ballyartella in the North of the county. They took over a vacant mill beside the Nenagh River and a large wheel provided the power necessary to operate the machinery.
The business expanded to spinning and carding, the main products being flannels and blankets. At that time, all products were sold within Ireland and the UK under the guidance of the founder’s son, John Hanly who became Managing Director.
Business continued in this way for many years. Local farmers brought their fleeces to the mill for purchase. Spinning, carding and weaving took place within the six-storey mill.